Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Such a High Priest

"Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God through him, because he always lives to intercede for them."

Hebrews 7:25

I'm going to be honest...

When I read this verse recently, I sighed. Sometimes I feel like such a mess, full of sin, and so far from looking like Jesus did, that I feel like salvation (in the sanctification sense) is an impossibility. I mean, just this week I feel like I spent more time sinning than glorifying God. I don't mean the obvious blantant sins, but the ones that are so subtle and dangerous. Like pride, selfishness, arrogance. The kinds that wrap around your heart and you don't even realize that they're there until you spew venom at someone in customer service on the phone, just because you can't see them face to face.

But, sanctification is not an impossibility. Thankfully I have Jesus. Jesus who came to earth and lived through perfectly all the nasty things that I fail at. He perfectly loved people who were hated him, was never rude or short when he was exhausted, loved his enemies, never loved fame or money, made himself nothing, glorified God in everything even death, cared for the poor and needy, was kind to rich snotheads... and the list goes on and on. He was perfect. And he became the high priest to all who will believe in him.

Why does this matter?

Because he is the high priest to all who will believe in Him, that means that all who will believe in Him will be made right before God. When God sees me, he sees Jesus, my high priest, and all of his righteousness counts for me even though I suck. And I have Jesus, who is at the right hand of God pulling for me, interceding for me. And everything that Jesus does he finishes. Including my salvation, which right now is in the "already-not-yet" phase.

Thank you Jesus for being my high priest and for interceding for me!

No comments: